You can be organized and create tons of space in even the smallest apartments with some of these creative storage ideas.
Pantone has chosen Greenery as it’s color of 2017. Using this color in your home can add a refreshing, natural pop of color. Color inspirations can be found on Pantone’s color of the year page and there are several great palettes to help inspire you when decorating. The Transitions palette includes last year’s colors: Serenity & Rose Quartz so you can easily update any styles from last year.
Check out the slideshow below for some great design inspiration from area shops. Also, see below for more information about purchasing these items, including web links. All images are copyright of their respective companies.
1. Bath and Body Works – Sunlit Garden 3-Wick Candle, $22.50
2. Bath and Body Works – White Tea & Pear 3-Wick Candle, $22.50
3. Kirklands – Lavender and Heather Mix Wreath, $29.99
4. Kirklands – Half Tulip Wreath, $24.99
5. Two Sisters – Marble Artichoke Coasters, $44.99
6. Overstock.com – b.b.begonia Blossom Reversible Design Outdoor Area Rug, $114.49
7. Bassett Furniture – Basecamp Apple Green Quilt, $179.00
8. Bassett Furniture – Array Green Decorative Pillow, $99.00
9. Bassett Furniture – Sommersby Area Rug, $699.00
10. Pier 1 – Green Leaf Stoneware Bowl, $2.98
11. Pier 1 – Green Garden Stool, $99.95
12. Pier 1 - Luca Green Oval Chair, $149.95
13. Pier 1- Carmelo Palm Green Melamine Dinnerware, $6.95-$7.95
14. Ikea – Strandmon Ottoman in Skiftebo Green, $89.00 & Strandmon Wing Chair in Skiftebo Green, $279.00
The smart home craze isn't just for homeowners. There are many new devices that are perfect for apartment residents that can make your life easier with the push of a button.
- SmartThings is a home automation kit that works with all sorts of devices including smart light bulbs & switches, outlets, Google Home, Amazon Alexa, Samsung Sensors, cameras, thermostats, speakers, appliances, remotes, and more. By downloading the SmartThings App, you'll install the hub for a range of smart products that can be controlled usting your phone. Control your home while you're away, even have coffee brew and ready before getting out of bed. For more information, visit the Samsung SmartThings website at smartthings.com.
- SmartSense Multi-Sensor is another Samsung product that is compatible with SmartThings. This sensor allows you to detect movement on doors, drawers, and other items so you can add protection to your home or valuables. Alerts are sent to the SmartThings app.
- Philips Hue Lighting can change the feel of your apartment as you wish - without painting or redecorating. You can change the color of the light bulbs to fit any mood whether you're looking for a warm, cozy lighting scheme or a cool party scene. But these lights don't only change color on demand. By downloading the Hue Camera app, the lights will automatically adjust to optimize TV and movie viewing.
- Twist Bulbs are another smart lighting device, but these also include a small audio device. Each tiny speaker installed in Twist Bulbs work together to create a full-home sound and light experience.
- Nest Cam is a security camera that you can live stream anywhere at any time. Alerts can also be sent if there is a change in sound or lighting so you can start viewing a live video stream on your device or computer.
- The WeMo Switch by Belkin is a handy device that can help save on your energy bills. This little device allows you turn devices and appliances off or on while you're away from home. If you forgot to turn off your lights, TV, or anything else after leaving, you can do so easily from afar with WeMo.
- Amazon Echo Dot, Google Home, and Ubi are voice-controlled assistants that can obey commands from playing music to ordering supplies all with the sound of your voice.
- The Roost Smart Battery is designed for use in smoke/CO detectors that has network and smart phone connectivity. This will send you a notification on your phone when the battery is running low so you can change it before the beeps and alarms sound!
What are your favorite new home devices? Share with the community in the comments below!
Dress Up Your Bedroom on a Budget
While everyone would certainly love to be able to completely makeover their home to look like the latest product of an HGTV show, the reality is most of us don’t have the time or the money to create such lavish and expensive digs. Luckily, there are many ways you can create a trendy and sophisticated space for you to come home to without breaking the bank. Check out a few of our suggestions below!
1. Add stylish and colorful throw pillows to enhance your color scheme. Careful though, pillows should not take up more than half the bed.
2. Find stylish ways to hide your clutter. Invest in decorative baskets or bins to reduce stress-producing disorganization.
3. Invest in a new comforter or duvet to completely change the look and feel of your bedroom. The bed is the focal point, so start there with your decorating theme and color.
4. Rearranging the furniture into a new layout can make your room feel like an entirely new space. Try using a Feng Shui technique to evoke a calming energy in the space: http://www.wikihow.com/Feng-Shui-Your-Bedroom
5. Add a decorative rug to the room to create a more pulled together and finished look. Make sure you choose the right size for your room – the rug should start at the head of the bed or 2 feet from the head of the bed and extend at least 2 feet beyond the foot of the bed. Check out this diagram for help : http://goo.gl/F18skF
6. Add decorative handles to dresser and nightstand drawers to add a small touch with a big impact. Check out some of the whimsical options on CoolKnobsandPulls.com
7. Add some houseplants to add a more peaceful, spa-like ambiance to the bedroom. As an added bonus, plants generate oxygen and help to remove toxins from the air.
8. Make sure that the size all of the items in your room complement each other – Do not pair a double bed with a tiny bedside lamp!
9. Try mounting a sconce to the wall to free up some space on your nightstand while also adding a tasteful piece of wall art. Make sure you use the right bulbs as well – a three way bulb that allows for more muted light helps to reduce harsh light right before bed.
10. If you are dealing with a smaller bedroom space, adding a decorative mirror can help to make the room feel larger while adding a design element.